Monday, June 27, 2011

Saturday and Sunday...




Another bike ride to the Seine, another lunch on the patio, another trip to Paris, another dinner on the patio, with conversation lasting till almost midnight. What a life.

I have to catch you up on the past few days. I don't know why this year it is so difficult to write; last year it seems I was able to do it every night.

On our way to the Musee D'Orsay on Sunday, we stopped at a little village's brocant (Kippy has an innate sense where they are--we were allowed a quick run-through, so we could get to Paris on time), and almost all of us found something to buy...Kippy an oil landscape and a couple of glass salieres, little pich-pots for salt and pepper; Alice, a hand-painted ceramic saliere from Normandy; and I found two original graphite drawings of French scenes from 1930. FOR 10 EUROS.

We made it to the Musee D'Orsay, for those new students in the class. We visited the Musee Marmottan to see Berthe Morrisot's work; we were surprised to discover a retrospective of brother artists Raoul and Jean Dufy--I was not familiar with their work, but loved the colorful show. Lunch at a nearby cafe, then (be still, my heart) the Paris Clignancourt flea market. In the states I spend untold hours haunting antique malls, always in search for some rare little treasure that I cannot live without. I now know why I come by these treasures so rarely. They're all over here. Booth after booth of silver, lighting, vintage clothing, fabric, art, hardware, tools... I was in heaven, while everyone I arrived with thought I was lost and spent 40 minutes looking for me. Here are my new drawings.


No comments:

Post a Comment