Tuesday, June 12, 2012

France, 2012-Day 1.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I am in France. I should have written a couple of days in advance so I wouldn't just throw this at you, but things just got too hecic at the last minute. We arrived this morning. Flew here from Atlanta with Katie, a nurse who took my class last year in France. She and I arranged to meet Alice, an art teacher at a private New Jersey school, who also took my class in France last summer. We figured we'd spend about 4 days roaming around France before my class begins again next Sunday. After arriving about 2 hours late at Charles de Gaulle this morning, Katie and I immediately stumbled upon Alice, who also arrived 2 hours late. A lost suitcase showed up within 20 minutes, the car rental went without a hitch, and we headed west in a little black Peugeot, navigated by Katie and the very nice lady with a British accent on the GPS. On route to our hotel, we stopped at Auvers-Sur-Oise, where Vincent and Theo Van Gogh are buried. We paid our respect at their graves and visited the church Vincent painted. Everything else is closed on Monday and Tuesday--Van Gogh's last apartment, which he painted , and Le Musee de L'Absinthe, which we will visit on Friday on our return trip, as we make our way back toward Kippy's in Fontaine-Fourches. I intend to try absinthe this trip. And where else should it be but here? OK, maybe at the Moulin Rouge. OK. Maybe both. Right now, Katie and Alice are planning our route for tomorrow. I'm leaving all the decision to them. I'm the driver and I don't want to make any decisions. Just tell me where to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment