Thursday, August 28, 2008

EVENING BATH, sold




This is a 5x7 pastel on PastelBord. Bidding starts at $100.












Jennifer asks me to say something about my colors, why I chose a certain palette and any challenges I had with composition or modeling.

About color: Some artists have difficulty seeing value. For some reason it came easily to me in the beginning. So I was able to play freely with color. I wondered what would happen if I put the most clashing colors I could find together, staying in the same value. So I'd put purple with sepia, or coral with turquoise, and I discovered a sort of visual buzz. Something seemed to vibrate. I loved it, and have kept doing it.

Not being very technical, I never got around to learning the color wheel. What I discovered many years later, was that I was simply going from one side of the color wheel to the other, putting warm on cool, cool on warm, then warm on cool, cool on warm... always looking for that buzz.

Composition tomorrow ( I need time to think about it).

1 comment:

  1. I do appreciate your commentary. I have been a long time fan of yours. I especially love your ballerina pastels and your website ballerina painting is just beautiful!!! I am a regular visitor to your site -always looking forward to your new work!

    ReplyDelete