Thursday, June 19, 2014





I haven't spoken much about the food here. Why? I don't know. It's a big part of this trip. Maybe it's because of our rule of not bringing electronics to the table, and I'm unable to photograph our incredible meals. I'm going to surreptitiously bring  my camera to the patio from now because you've got to see what we eat. I'll sneak a picture when Kippy and Jerome aren't looking. What have you missed other than the morning croissants and chocolate patisseries (which I have learned to avoid)?
 
Quiche Lorraine, porc a la menthe, mignon de porc au poivre vert, Madame Delahaye's chicken and porc terrine, blinis with salmon, poission de papillote avec fennel and fava beans baked in parchment (yum), apple tart, chocolate mousse, fromage blanc with rhubarb sauce, fresh salads straight from the garden and huge selections of cheeses after every lunch and dinner (one cheese is so soft you have to use a spoon to scoop it onto your plate). And of course wine, wine, wine, wine. And wine.
 
Yesterday was less structured. Everybody is tired. We were to come and go as we pleased. The studio was open all day and well past midnight. We worked from photos, stopping at lunch time to have lunch in a nearby relais - a truck stop. No nekkid lady license plates or pine tree deodorizers to dangle from the rear view mirror here. Here are the pictures from the relais.
 
Lunch at the truck stop? Veal with cream sauce, roasted rabbit. We all just devoured our food before our apricot tarts, tiramisu, cherry clafouti and coffee ice cream arrived at the table. It didn't occur to me to photograph the food until desert was served. 
 
Au jour d'hui: Paris. It will be a long day. Some will go to the Musee d'Orsay, which I love, but I've been there 4 times in 4 years so am opting instead for an exhibition at the Petite Palais, "Paris in 1990," which is full of Art Nouveau, my favorite period. I hear we can take photos, so I'll share them with you. Dinner will be waiting when we return late tonight. It is a gorgeous, cloudless spring day here.
 



1 comment:

  1. Shaking my head, wow, that's some truck stop! I'm enjoying your journey, until I can return to this wonderful country. Thanks for all your posts!

    ReplyDelete